Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Meaningful life



In order for soul to lift us into awareness and inspiration, it's got to have fuel. Happiness is the fuel.
Happiness is like gasoline in an airplane. Take it away and nothing gets off the ground.
Happiness has two frames, the present moment and the future.
Some of the spiritual gurus advise people to live only in the present. If we would just live in the "now" and not think about the future, they say, life would be bliss. But I've found that doesn't really work. People think lots about the future and they should.
On the other hand, if you only think about the future, you're never going to enjoy what's right under your nose.
I once had a friend who took a vacation with his family to Hawaii. When he got back, I asked him how it went.
"Lousy," he said.
"How could a trip to Hawaii be lousy?"
"All I ever did was take photographs," he said."I got three albums out of it, but I barely relaxed for a moment."
That's what you call living in the future.
So we're going to focus on how to achieve both present-moment happiness and joy about the future.

No comments: